Acoustical Engineer – World-Class Immersive Entertainment Spaces
We seek an Acoustical Engineer to join us at our headquarters, located in Auburn, California. This is not a remote position.
Work at Keith Yates Design:
KYD is a unique, dynamic and growing architecture and engineering studio, creating world-class entertainment environments to foster immersive experiences. We are the international leader at providing the finest designed and engineered private cinemas, director screening rooms, precision listening environments and auxiliary entertainment spaces. KYD has been creating these unique spaces longer than anyone in the US, beginning with schematic design through construction.
Our work integrates high-design with high-tech for some of the world’s most successful clients in some of the world’s most desirable locations.
Serving clients world-wide from our offices in Northern California, we draw on a 25 year history of envisioning, designing, modeling, documenting, testing and obsessively calibrating purpose-built screening rooms, private cinemas, listening rooms and auxiliary entertainment spaces for marquee-name directors, cinematographers, technologists and, especially, everyday movie and music lovers seeking to be transported to another place and time, for entering a story, a life, they wouldn’t have otherwise known or imagined.
Join a firm where creating magical and unforgettable experiences is the driving passion behind our everyday work. We have a work environment where team support is highly valued and where high work morale, continuously pushing the boundaries of the cutting-edge, and dedication to being the leader in our field unify the studio.
If you are interested in joining KYD, please apply by following the information provided below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Position is full time at our office (not remote). KYD offers competitive salaries above industry standard with qualified candidates to receive signing bonus. KYD offers health insurance, dental, vision, life, employer matching SIMPLE IRA, vacation and sick time.
- Communicate: Clearly communicate to internal design and engineering staff through creation of detailed technical and test reports. Clearly articulate the results of simulations, testing and analyses informally and formally in presentation form (as needed).
- Lead: Maintain and increase the status of KYD as a pre-eminent acoustic design and engineering company. Work closely with other team members to meet client expectations for quality, comprehensiveness, promptness and overall outcomes. Create and deliver presentations and reports for homeowners, architects, and industry partners.
- Innovate: Develop, improve and implement new modeling, simulation, optimization and testing protocols for the company’s current and future projects, including high-end residential (private cinemas, media rooms) and commercial (cinemas, recording studios, dubbing stages, performance venues, test laboratories etc.). Perform complex testing and provide data analysis to team members.
- Master’s degree in Acoustics plus 5 years of experience in acoustic modeling, optimization and testing for high-resolution, low-noise Architectural Acoustics projects (e.g. recording studios, auditoria, private cinemas, director screening rooms etc.).
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Architectural Acoustics modeling, optimization and problem solving using modern software applications, including EASE Pro, Odeon, CATT-acoustic, Reflex, Insul, Meyer MAPP.
- Prefer 2+ years of experience using COMSOL Multiphysics and Matlab to characterize and solve low-frequency and infrasonic problems during the project design phase.
- Effective communication skills to communicate with team members, architects, general contractors, audiovisual consultants and homeowners.
- Effective user of architectural CAD/BIM software tools, including SketchUp, Rhino, Grasshopper, AutoCAD and Revit, as well as general business applications, including Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel to distant project sites and set up, operate and maintain test equipment.
- The ability to multi-task with experience of working on multiple projects at a time.
How to apply:
Please send resume, cover letter and portfolio by e-mail in PDF format no larger than 10MB total. Links to additional work or work that exceeds our data limit are acceptable.